Welcome to the SBS Advising Center. We serve as academic advisors for first year students, a resource for all students in Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) regarding academic concerns, academic policies and procedures, general education advising, and referrals to other resources on campus.
We are committed to taking the necessary steps to protect the health and safety of our faculty, staff and students, as well as all visitors to campus to limit the spread of COVID-19. Our office space is closed, however we are working remotely.
Virtual hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
*Days and times could vary based on advisor availability.
Office Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to connect with and Advisor in the SBS Advising Center during this time
- To schedule an online appointment, please go to mnsu.edu/mavconnect and choose an online appointment. Click here to see the instructions on scheduling in MavConnect.
- Email the SBS Advising Center at email email@example.com.
- We will have a variety of online walk-in advising hours for registration using Zoom. Click here to see the date/times and the links to utilize online walk-in hours.
Please use email to contact the SBS Advising Center, multiple individuals have access to this email and can respond to your inquiry or question. Please be patient with response times, as we will have a large volume of email with this transition.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: At this time we don’t have access to work related phone, we will update if that changes.
Advising Structure in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
- First year students under 30 credits are assigned to the SBS Advising Center
- After 30 credits, a student is assigned a faculty/major advisor for major advising and involvement.
- All students are encouraged to visit the Advising Center for general education, general advising, and application for graduation questions.
Faculty/Staff Advisor vs. Advising Center Advisor
Faculty / Staff Advisor:
- Major course advising and questions
- Admission to major requirements and processes
- Internships and career fields
- Research opportunities
- Study abroad opportunities
- Transfer of credit related to major course work
- To find your advisor, click here.
SBS Advising Center:
- First Year Advising
- General education questions and advising
- General advising questions
- Support and tutoring resources on campus
- Academic warning and probation advising
- Questions about applying for graduation
- Schedule a meeting with an Advising Center advisor by email or using MavConnect
**We recommend that each student meets with their advisor once a semester.
Declaring your Major/Minor/Certificate OR Changing your Advisor
The Major Button allows you to update your academic record easily, with updated information about your major, minor, or certificate that you may be pursuing. If you need to make a change to your catalog year or want to request a change in advisors, you can do that here as well. Then, stay tuned to your MavMail for information about the changes you have requested.
Log in to the form to get started.
Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) Advising Center
114 Armstrong Hall