Urban Planning MAPage address: http://sbs.mnsu.edu/ursi/graduate/urbanplanning.html
Alternative Plan Paper Option Only – 36 credits
The Master of Arts in Urban Planning is a 2 year professional program orientated towards a systematic, creative approach to analyzing and planning neighborhoods, small towns, cities, suburbs, metropolitan areas, regions, and states. While most planners work for government at the state and local level, planners work in the non-profit and private consulting areas as well.
Required Core (9 credits)
- URBS 501 – Foundations in Urban Management & Planning (3)
- URBS 502 – Urban Anaylsis *(3)
- URBS 667 - Studio (capstone) (3)
*a previous course in statistics is expected
Graduate Focus (12 credits)
- URBS 602 – Planning Process (3)
- URBS 604 - Zoning & Legal Issues (3)
- URBS 661 - Long Range & Strategic Planning (3)
- URBS 662 - Operational Planning (3)
Elective Concentration (12 credits)
Student chooses 12 electives from URSI and other departments, with consent of advisor.
Free Electives (3 credits)
The department recommends URBS 697 Internship. GEOG 673 GIS for Planners, is expected for students with no previous GIS training.