Scholarships & StipendsPage address: http://sbs.mnsu.edu/socialwork/undergraduate/scholarships.html
The Department of Social Work is committed to providing financial support for our students. We provide several scholarship opportunities for qualified BSSW and MSW students each year.
Applications are accepted and reviewed during the Spring Semester of each year and awarded for the following academic term or year. Work with your advisor to have your application ready for submission in order to be ready for the announced deadline date announced each Spring semester.
2017 APPLICATIONS WILL USE THE ONLINE "GENERAL APPLICATION" FOUND WHEN YOU LOG IN TO "SCHOLARSHIPFINDER."
Go to https://mnsu.edu/scholarshipfinder
DEADLINE: Wednesday, March 01, 2017
SOCIAL WORK SCHOLARSHIP DESCRIPTIONS
Wayne and Carol Sandee Scholarship (BSSW)
Who is eligible: Minority student who is an undergraduate pre-social work major or who has been admitted to Social Work major.
Bill Anderson New Student Scholarship (SOWK Undergraduates)
Who is eligible: Undergraduate student with 3.0 GPA in high school, who maintains 3.0 GPA 1st semester at MSU,enrolled in SW 180W & SW 212 in 1st year of attendance, and plans to be a Social Work major.
Alumni & Faculty Scholarships (BSSW and MSW)
Amount (variable): $250-$500
Who is eligible: Undergraduate Social Work major or MSW student, 3.0 GPA, demonstrated leadership, volunteer activities & other service experience considered.
MN Social Service Association Scholarships (BSSW and MSW)
Amount: $500/award; 2-4 awarded by MSSA Region 9 annually
Who is eligible: Undergraduate or graduate social work major, minimum 3.0 GPA, leadership, volunteer activities, & other social services experience considered.
Social Work Study Abroad scholarship
- The Study Abroad Scholarship is awarded to social work majors (and MSU students) who are participating in a Department of Social Work International/Study Abroad Trip or Exchange program.
- Selection is based upon: 1) completed application; 2) GPA of 2.8 or higher (BSSW) or 3.0 or higher (MSW); 3) written statement of financial need; and 4) written description as to how this opportunity will contribute to their work as a social worker in an increasingly diverse and globalized society.
- Amount: Up to $500, dependent upon availability of funds.
Social Welfare Scholars Award (SOWK Undergraduates)
- Amount: $ 100, $75, and $50
- Who is eligible: Undergraduate pre-sowk student; has taken SOWK 180W Social Welfare Services and received an "A" in course and an "A" on final paper; award based on blind reviews of paper written by student.
- Applications Due: To be announced
MSW Scholar Award (MSW)
Who is eligible: MSW graduate student who writes and submits scholarly paper and is in good academic standing; award based upon blind reviews of papers. A scholarly paper is one that examines a social work issue, drawing from a body of scholarly literature, and applies APA Style guidelines.
Applications Due: March 1, 2017
MSW Social Justice Award (MSW)
- Amount: $1000
Who is eligible: 1)MSW student in good standing (3.0 GPA) and is making progress towards on-time degree completion; 2)Has demonstrated work to further social and/or economic justice issues, particularly with diverse or underserved population; 3) In a concentration year MSW Field Practicum at an agency whose mission, at least in part, has a focus on social or economic justice issues and/or provides services to diverse, oppressed, or underserved populations (Placement/Practicum agency should be discussed in essay, and appear on resume.)
- Applications Due: March 1, 2017
- Amount: Significant stipends provided each semester for which a student qualifies.
- Who is eligible: Social work majors (BSSW and MSW) who will committ to working in child welfare upon graduation. BSSW students must be in the final 3-semester practice course sequence of the major. Call for applications will be sent out.
- NOTE: These stipends DO NOT USE the Scholarship Finder General Application. This is a separate application process, please contact coordinators listed below:
- For Application Information Contact:
- BSSW - Contact Debra Gohagan, 389-1699, email@example.com
- MSW - Contact Kimberly Zammitt, 389-1219, firstname.lastname@example.org
Amount: Approx $1000
Who is eligible: Undergraduates who pursue involvement with Kessel Institute for Peace & Change