Junior Field: SOWK 315Page address: http://sbs.mnsu.edu/socialwork/undergraduate/admission/juniorfield.html
What is SOWK 315 - Junior Field Experience?
SOWk 315 is a beginning level social service field experience course for social work majors and social welfare minors. Students complete 120 hours of observation and service throughout a 15-week fall or spring semester or a 10-week summer session. Students attend seminars that integrate field experiences and social work values, knowledge, and practice.
When should I plan to complete SOWK 315?
- In the last semester of general education and foundation SOWK courses, typically after you complete about 60 credits of coursework and have junior standing.
- You should have completed SOWK 215 (aka. SOWK 180W) Social Welfare Services AND SOWK 212 Introduction to Social Work before taking this course.
- Students are encouraged to complete SOWK 310/310W HBSE and SOWK 315 in the same semester or to complete SOWK 310 before completing SOWK 315.
Pre-Registration Steps to Complete for Permission to Register
Students MUST attend an informational meeting about required PRE-REGISTRATION STEPS and to begin the process of finding an agency or program where they carry out the Field Education Experience. The BSSW Field Program uses an online software system, Sonia, to manage the SOWK 315 Junior Field application documents and other processes. Students must attend to be added to the Sonia system begin the Junior Level Field Experience journey!
Deadlines for completing required SOWK 315 Pre-Registration Documents/Steps
Faculty who teach SOWK 315 schedule a series of Junior Field Experience Information Meetings each semester. (SEE BELOW for 2018-19 Dates & Deadlines!)
Registration for SOWK 315 is by PERMISSION ONLY
Students cannot register for SOWK 315 until the faculty teaching the course gives permission. Permission is granted when the student has located an agency/program where they complete their junior field experience, and submitted a Placement Agreement that is signed by an agency representative.
To Register for SOWK 315 Jr Field Experience in Spring 2019:
SOWK 315, Spring 2019 is currently only on a WAITLIST BASIS!
Contact Dr. Annelies Hagemeister, email@example.com
Fall 2018 Information Meetings (Dept. of SW Office, TN 358) - MUST attend one of these:
- Meetings have been completed.
Fall 2018 Pre-Registration Deadlines > to Enroll in Spring 2019:
- Nov. 15 - Field Experience Placement Agreement MUST be complete, signed, and submitted to Dept of Social Work Office
- Dec. 7 - Register for the Course
- Jan. 14 - Verification of Liability Insurance uploaded into Sonia
- Jan. 16 - First SOWK 315 Seminar Meeting
To Get Permission to Register for Summer 2019
If you are interested in completing SOWK 315 in Summer 2019, please contact Dr. Laura Strunk at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about SOWK 315 Information Meetings held in Spring 2019.