Admission to Major & SOWK 441Page address: http://sbs.mnsu.edu/socialwork/undergraduate/admission/admissiontomajor.html
DEADLINE: Applications for BSSW Major DUE Friday, Feb. 20, 2015
Application and Admission to the BSSW Major is required before students can get permission to register for SOWK 441: Social Work Practice I and advanced 400 level courses in the BSSW Practice Sequence.
Spring 2015 BSSW Application to the Major Advising Sessions
(Application to Major sessions are completed for this semester. There will be more in the Fall for Spring 2016.)
To begin the upper-division part of the social work major (BSSW degree), you must complete an Application to the Major and have your Advisor review and sign it. These applications are reviewed by BSSW faculty and you may be admitted. This is usually done when the student has:
- Completed their University-wide General Education and Graduation Requirment courses (or will by the end of the semester in which they apply).
- Completed the SOWK Introductory and Integrating courses (SOWK courses at the 100, 200, and 300 levels).
- Completed about 75 credits by the end of the semester in which they apply.
- Obtained a cumulative or overall and a Social Work GPA of 2.8 or higher.
Application for Admission to the BSSW Major (Upper-division) for Fall 2015 were due in February. Admissions decision have been made for Fall 2015.
Make an appointment with your advisor well in advance of this deadline!
2015 Application for Admission forms to the BSSW Program have been revised and are available now, January 13, 2015. The related files are at the bottom of this page. An email announcement is being sent to the Social Work Department Listserv to inform students of the posting of these forms.
The BSSW faculty made the following changes to our application forms.
1) We separated instructions from the content of the application. There is now a file with content which provides an Overview of the Admission and Application Processes. READ this file FIRST.
2) Next is the BSSW Program Application INSTRUCTIONS for all parts. It is long, but covers all areas of the application with explanations of what the BSSW faculty look for and tips for completing the application. READ this file VERY CAREFULLY!
3) The BSSW Application is now primarily a fill in the blank or check list set of forms. The first 2 pages function as a cover sheet and checklist and must accompany your application. The section in which we ask applicants to provide information about their prior work, volunteer, organization involvement, or training/workshops participation has been expanded. Read this carefully, also.
4) The Academic and Professional Behaviors and Statement of Responsibilities Contract has been revised and is more thorough in its language related to academic and professional expectations for social work students. This MUST be read carefully and thoughtfully!
5) The final form is your Academic and Professional Statements/Essays (which are also in the Application Instruction packet referred to in item #2 above). The faculty did not change Essay A. Essay B was changed and contains content from old Essay B and C. Essay C is new with a focus on values, diversity, social justice & advocacy, and privilege.
As you complete these forms for us, please don't hesitate to ask BSSW faculty questions. If you find errors/typos, confusing instructions, send an email to Debra Gohagan, BSSW Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing your completed applications very soon!
Moving from "Pre-SOWK" to "SOWK Major"
When students express an interest in the Social Work major/BSSW degree the Department Secretary will assign an advisor to them and change their status in the records system to Major = Pre-SOWK. Students who are working closely with their advisor will know when it is time for them to apply to the major. The materials below summarize the qualifications and provide the forms you will need to complete your application. The deadlines are published on the "Important Dates" page of this website along with being announced in classes and on the posted department listserv.
Also see the Undergraduate BSSW Student Handbook which explains the process in detail and summarizes the possible outcomes when students apply. As a professional major the Department has a responsibility to clients, agencies, and the profession to ensure that our graduates are able to practice as competent social workers. Thus, demonstration of mature and professional behavior is also considered when looking at admissions.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION FORMS AND INFORMATION
- When you calculate your "GPA in the Major" be sure to include foundational supporting courses that are required but taken outside the Department as well as all courses you have completed in the Social Work Department.
- See "Steps to Apply for Social Work Major" and the "BSSW Policy for Reviewing Applications to the Major"
- Plan to meet with your advisor with a draft of your application at least 2-weeks before the Application is DUE!
Admission to Social Work Major/BSSW Degree Program Instructions & Forms :
All files above are currently in word/doc format at this time. When you click on the link, the file will be ready to download and save to your computer! Make sure you have downloaded and saved all 5 files!