Admission to Major & SOWK 441Page address: http://sbs.mnsu.edu/socialwork/undergraduate/admission/admissiontomajor.html
You need to be Admitted to the BSSW Program even if you previously declared the socia work major. Applications for BSSW Major (to begin 400-level required courses with SOWK 441) in Spring 2017 Semester are DUE September 23, 2016
Application and Admission to the BSSW Major is required before students can get permission to register for SOWK 441: Introduction to Generalist Social Work Practice and advanced 400 level courses in the BSSW Practice Sequence.
BSSW Application to the Major Advising Sessions
Presentations will be made in SOWK 310, SOWK 315 and SOWK 210 classes. We will be scheduling general information sessions on a monthly basis. For more information, contact your social work advisor or BSSW Program Director, Dr. Debra Gohagan, Email: email@example.com
To begin the upper-division (required 400-level SOWK courses) of the social work major (or BSSW degree), you must complete an Application to the Major and have your faculty advisor review and sign it. These applications are reviewed by BSSW faculty. This is usually done when the student has:
- Completed your University-wide General Education and Graduation Requirment courses (or will by the end of the semester in which you plan to apply).
- Completed the SOWK Introductory and Integrating courses (SOWK courses at the 100, 200, and 300 levels).
- Completed about 75 credits by the end of the semester in which you plan to apply.
- Obtained a cumulative or overall and a Social Work GPA of 2.8 or higher.
Make an appointment with your advisor well in advance of this deadline!
Application for Admission forms to the BSSW Program are revised each year. Make sure yours reflects the current year.
As you complete these forms for us, please don't hesitate to ask BSSW faculty advisors questions. If you find errors/typos, confusing instructions, send an email to Debra Gohagan, BSSW Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing your completed applications!
Moving from "Pre-SOWK" to "SOWK Major"
When students express an interest in/declare the Social Work major/BSSW degree the Department Secretary will assign an advisor to them and change their status in the records system to Social Work Major (essentially "Pre-SOWK Major"). Students who are working closely with their advisor will know when it is time for them to apply to the major, but it will also be on this website and mentioned in courses.
The materials below summarize the qualifications and provide the forms you will need to complete your application. Beginning Fall 2016, application for formal admission to the BSSW program (permission to complete the advanced curriculum) will be due by Friday, 4 p.m. in the 5th class week of each semester (unless otherwise posted). The deadlines are published on the "Important Dates" page of this website along with being announced in classes and on the posted department listserv. GET on the LISTSERV if you are not!
The Undergraduate BSSW Student Handbook generally explains the process in detail and summarizes the possible outcomes when students apply. As a pre-professional major, the Department has a responsibility to clients, agencies, and the profession to ensure that our graduates are able to practice as ethical and competent social workers. Thus, demonstration of mature and professional behavior is also considered when looking at admissions.
- Down load and save the forms below and review them.
- Listen to an Admission/Application to the SW Major presentation in a class or attend an information meeting.
- Schedule a time to meet with and go over the process with your academic advisor and make sure you are at the right point to do the application.
- When you calculate your "GPA in the Major" be sure to include foundational supporting courses that are required but taken outside the Department as well as all courses you have completed within the Department.
- Plan to meet with your advisor with a complete draft of your application at least 2-weeks before the Application is DUE!
Admission to Major/BSSW Degree Program Instructions & Forms
UPDATED for Fall 2016 Application Cycle
Develop and Submit a Resume. This should not be more than 2 pages. You may wish to go to MSU, Mankato's Career Development Center website for instructions, templates, and samples. The Handbook for Job Search on their website also has a template [page 7] and social work sample resume [page 18-19]. If the links in this paragraph do not work in your browser, go to www.mnsu.edu/cdc/resumes and follow the links under the heading 'Resume' about midway down the page.) If you do not know how to develop a resume, make an appointment at the Career Development Center. It is NEVER to early to learn how to write a good resume and this is not the only time you have to submit one for the BSSW program.
All files above are currently in word/doc format. When you click on the link, the file will be ready to download and save to your computer! Make sure you have downloaded and saved all files.