AccreditationPage address: http://sbs.mnsu.edu/socialwork/graduate/accreditation.html
MSW Program Accreditation Granted October 2010 - MSW Reaffirmation Spring 2014
The MSW program successfully completed the 4-year accreditation process in October 2010. Our MSW Program is now fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). Our first class of 26 new MSW students graduated in July 2009, a second class of 30 students graduating in July 2010, and a third class of 27 students graduated in July 2011.
The MSW program will undergo reaffirmation by CSWE in the spring of 2014. Details are forthcoming.
- Spring 2014: CSWE site visit
- October 2014: Review by the CSWE Commission on Accreditation
- August 2006: Minnesota State Colleges and University (Minnesota State) approved the offering of the MSW degree after undergoing an extensive approval process at Minnesota State University, Mankato's.
- Fall 2006: The CSWE Commission on Accreditation (COA) granted "Pre-Candidacy" status.
- Spring 2007: Our Benchmark I accreditation documents were formally approved followed by a successful COA Commissioner site visit in May 2007.
- August 2007: New MSW students began classes in the Traditional (2-Yr) MSW Program.
- October 2007: The CSWE Commission on Accreditation (COA) granted "Candidacy" status to the program after review of our Benchmark I Documents and COA Commissioner recommendations.
- March 2008: Our Benchmark II accreditation documents were submitted.
- April 2008: First Candidacy site visit by CSWE Commissioner. The Commissioner determined that the MSW Program was in compliance on all standards required at Benchmark II and is making the recommendation to the CSWE Council on Accreditation (COA) that the second visit be granted.
- May 2008: The first cohort of Advanced Standing MSW students began classes.
- August 2008: The first cohort of Traditional MSW students began second year and a new cohort of Traditional students begins their first year in the program.
- October 2008: The COA reviewed our Benchmark II Documents and the Commissioner's recommendations. On October 20, we received notification that we remain in Candidacy and have been authorized to submit our next set of documents and be granted the second visit.
- March 2009: Benchmark III (Draft Self-Study) accreditation documents submitted to CSWE.
- April 2009: 2nd CSWE Commissioner Candidacy site visit completed with positive recommendation for program to move forward to Final Self-Study.
- July 2009: First cohorts of 26 new MSW graduates complete program.
- October 2009: The COA reviewed our Benchmark III (Draft Self-Study) Documents and the Commissioner's recommendations. On October 20, we received notification that we remain in Candidacy and have been authorized to submit our Self-Study and approved for the final accreditation site visit.
- March 2010: The final Accreditation Self-Study was sent to CSWE and the Site Visit Team on March 15, 2010.
- April 14-16, 2010: The 2-person Site Visit Team conducted that Accreditation Site Visit. The outcome of the site visist was quite positive, with many areas of strength noted.
- May 2010: The program submitted a final document addressing areas requiring clarification.
- October 2010: The MSW Program was granted accreditation by the CSWE Commission on Accreditation. The MSW program, department, college, university, and Board of Social Work were notified of this in November 2010.
For more information on the CSWE Accreditation of Social Work Programs you may contact CSWE, the national accrediting body for professional social work education programs. [Clicking on the link will take you away from the Department website and to CSWE website.]