shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato


Page address:


The most successful students seek help from their advisers. Advisers help students in many ways. They can help students make sure they are taking the correct courses and balancing their schedules and making good choices for their educational and career goals. Students have access to two types of advising: general advising and advising in their major. Below is information about each of these advising options. 

In addition to advising, students have access to a variety of free resources on campus. A few of these services include counseling at the Counseling Center, tutoring at the Center for Academic Success, and resume reviews and mock interviews at the Career Development Center. A list of these resources, which are offered outside of the Department of Sociology and Corrections can be found here: Student Resources


General Advising
Students in the School of Social and Behavioral Science (which includes Sociology and Corrections majors) can get general advising from Advising U. Advising U can help you make sure you are fulfilling your general education requirements and know how far along you are on your way to degree completion. You can find more information about Advising U by visiting their website or stopping by their office in Armstrong Hall 114.


Major Advising
Once you declare your major sociology or corrections you will be assigned an advisor in the Department. Your major adviser can help you make sure you are meeting your degree requirements, help you figure out when to take which classes, and discuss with you your career and educational goals. Keep in mind that your major adviser is giving you advice specifically on your major, all your questions considering your general education and minor requirements should still be directed to general advising through Advising U.

If you know who you want your adviser to be at the time you declare your major ask for that person and they will be assigned to you. If you are not sure who you want your adviser to be, you will be automatically assigned a professor in the department as your adviser.

As you take more classes and get to know the professors more, you might find that you feel comfortable with a certain professor and want that person as your adviser. It is completely acceptable to change advisers. Your professors understand that as you get to know certain professors better and take classes with different people you may choose to change your adviser. The process of changing advisers is easy. Just ask the person whom you would like to have as an adviser if you can switch to them (some people have lots of advises and may not have room to add another student— so be sure to ask first!). Once you have permission, go to the front desk of the Department of Sociology and Corrections and ask to change advisers.