Professional Competencies Expected of College Graduates
A. Traditional Professional Competencies
Conceptual Competence: Understanding the theoretical foundations.
2. Technical Competence: Performing required skills.
3. Integrative Competence: Melding theory and skills in practice
4. Career Marketability: Marketable through education and training
B. Liberal / Professional Competencies
2. Contextual Competence
3. Adaptive Competence
4. Critical Thinking
5. Leadership Capacity
2. Professional Ethics
3. Scholarly Concern for Improvement
4. Motivation for Continued Learning
5. Aesthetic Sensibility
From: Stark, Joan and Malcolm A. Lowther. 1989. "Exploring Common Ground in Liberal and Professional Education." Pages 7 - 20 in Armount, R. A. and B. S. Fuhrmann (eds.) Integrating Liberal Learning and Professional Education. New Directions for Teaching and Learning, No. 40, Winter. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
· Barbara Keating's Home Page