Dr. Jeffrey A. Buchanan
Ph.D., University of Nevada, 2004
Area(s) of specialization
Applied Behavior Analysis, Alzheimer's disease and related conditions
Management of challenging behaviors in dementia patients
Identification of preferences in nonverbal populations
Education of caregivers of persons with dementia
Benefits of written emotional expression on physical and psychological well-being
We are currently working on projects that involve examining methods for identifying preferred activities/stimuli in persons with Alzheimer's disease (AD) that have impaired verbal abilities. We are also conducting a study examining the effects of an intervention to reduce aggressive behavior in persons with AD. In addition, I have students working on a study that will involve assessing college student's knowledge and stereotypes about older adults. However, I am open to working with students to develop their own research ideas in the general area of geropsychology.
- Buchanan, J.A. & Berg, T. (in press). Evidence based practices by service delivery
process. To appear in E. McDonel Herr, S. Levkoff, H. Chen, J. E. Fisher, J. McIntyre (Eds.) Beyond Experience: Implementing Evidence-Based Behavioral Health Practices for Older Adults. New York: Springer
- Fisher, J.E., Cardinal, C., Yury, C. & Buchanan, J.A. (in press). Dementia. In J.E. Fisher
& W. O’Donohue (Eds.) Practice guidelines for evidence-based psychotherapy. New York: Springer.
- Henderson, D., Varble, D., & Buchanan, J. (2003). Elder abuse: Guidelines for treatment.
In W.T. O’Donohue & E.R. Levensky (Eds.), Handbook of forensic psychology. San Diego, CA: Elsevier.
- Yury, C.A., Buchanan, J.A., Gentry, R.A., LeRoux, H., & Fisher, J.E. (2003). Assessing
mental competency in the elderly. In W.T. O’Donohue & E.R. Levensky (Eds.), Handbook of forensic psychology. San Diego, CA: Elsevier.
- Fisher, J.E. & Buchanan, J.A. (2003). Stimulus preference assessment. In W. O’Donohue,
J.E. Fisher, & S. Hayes (Eds.), Cognitive-behavior therapy: A clinician’s step-by-step guide to empirically-supported treatments (pp. 402-406). New York: Wiley and Sons.
- O’Donohue, W., & Buchanan, J.A. (2002). The mismeasure of psychologists: A review
of the psychometrics of licensing requirements. In W. O’Donohue & K.E. Ferguson (Eds.), Handbook of professional ethics for psychologists (pp. 81-100). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Buchanan, J.A. & Fisher, J.E. (2002). The use of noncontingent reinforcement in the
treatment of disruptive vocalization in elderly dementia patients. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 35, 99-103.
- Henderson, D., Buchanan, J.A., & Fisher, J.E. (2002). Violence and the elderly
population: Issues for prevention. In P. Schewe (Ed.), Preventing violence in relationships: Interventions across the life span (pp. 223-246). Washington D.C.: American Psychological Association.
- O’Donohue, W., Buchanan, J.A., & Fisher, J.E. (2000). Characteristics of empirically-supported treatments. Journal of Psychotherapy Research and Practice, 9, 69-74
- Buchanan, J.A. & Berg, T. (2005, October). “Strategies for managing challenging
behaviors in persons with dementia.” Presentation at the 11th annual Alzheimer’s and
Dementias conference, Mankato, MN.
- Buchanan, J.A. (2005, September). “Falls and feelings.” Presentation at the Putting the
Breaks on Falls conference sponsored by the Age Well Network, Mankato, MN.
- Fisher, J.E. & Buchanan, J.A. (2004, November). “Designing restraint-free environments
for elderly persons with cognitive disorders.” Workshop presented at the meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, Washington, D.C.
- Buchanan, J.A., Fisher, J.E., & Hadden, J.E. (2003, October). Presentation of preferred
stimuli as an intervention for escape-maintained aggressive behavior in dementia patients. Paper presented at the meeting of the Mid-American Association for Behavior Analysis, Milwaukee, WI.
- Fisher, J.E., Buchanan, J.A., & Fredericks, D. (2000, November). Behavior analytic
interventions for dementia patients: Restraint-free methods for maintaining behavioral repertoires. Paper presented at the meeting of the Association for the Advancement of Behavior Therapy, New Orleans.
- Hadden, J.E., Fisher, J.E., Buchanan, J.A., Fredericks, D., & Porter J. (1999, November).
Assessing the functions of problem behavior in dementia patients. Paper presented at the meeting of The Gerontological Society of America, San Francisco, CA.
- Abnormal Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Psychology of Aging
- Behavioral Assessment