Admission RequirementsPage address: http://sbs.mnsu.edu/history/programs/graduate/admission.html
Before being accepted into the History Graduate Program, all applicants must apply to the College of Graduate Studies. Students who wish to pursue a Graduate Certificate in History need only to apply to the College of Graduate Studies.
Applicants who wish to pursue the MA or MS in History must also submit other materials in support of their application directly to the Graduate Director in History (see below).
All students applying to a Graduate Program in History should meet the following minimum requirements:
- GPA: All applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for all undergraduate work, including at least 16 undergraduate semester credits in History. 6 of the credits must be in United States history, and 6 in European history.
- English Proficiency: TOEFL score of 600 (paper) or 247 (computer)
Students who do not meet the minimum requirements are encouraged to contact the Graduate Coordinator.
Students who wish to pursue the MA or MS in History should submit the following material directly to the Graduate Coordinator in History:
- Statement of Purpose: 2-3 typed pages that clearly outline the applicant's interest and purpose for seeking a master's degree in history.
- Writing Sample: Submit a substantial paper 10-30 pages long, preferably submitted for an upper-division History class.
- Two letters of reference that clearly address the applicant's academic abilities and prospects for success in the MSU History program.
Department of History
110 Armstrong Hall
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Mankato, MN 56001M