Mission & GoalsPage address: http://sbs.mnsu.edu/ethnic/mission.html
The Department of Ethnic Studies is an interdisciplinary program, academically committed to promoting multicultural and ethnic knowledge and values both within and outside the United States and to prepare our students for effective functioning across the culturally diverse and global community.
The Ethnic Studies Department strives to prepare students for effective functioning across the culturally diverse global community.
- Ethnic Studies Department will provide high quality, well respected undergraduate and graduate programs. This degree program will also teach the liberal arts skills of critical and creative thinking, oral and written communication, individual and group problem solving, use of information technologies and other research tools and an appreciation of ethnic diversity and democratic values.
- Ethnic Studies will provide a strong, discipline based and interdisciplinary undergraduate liberal arts degree recognized for their high quality by graduates and their families, by academic peers and by the public.
- Ethnic Studies will also provide strong undergraduate opportunities that are in alignment with student interest and market needs and that are recognized for their high quality by graduates and their families, relevant professional associations, and potential employers.
- This degree program will help students develop professional skills and knowledge, ethical integrity, leadership skills, commitment to life-long learning and access to professional networks and/or advanced degree programs.
- Ethnic Studies will also provide a discipline based and interdisciplinary graduate degree recognized for high quality faculty members and rigorous programs by graduates, accrediting agencies, and potential employers or doctoral programs in which our students matriculate.
- To enhance student learning beyond the classroom, Ethnic Studies will offer experiential opportunities such as field trips, internships, and service learning and will promote study abroad opportunities for students.
- To respond to the evolving learning needs of students in our programs, faculty and staff in Ethnic Studies will pursue professional development opportunities related to teaching and service to students.
- To ensure continuous improvement of our programs, Ethnic Studies will implement assessment plans and will modify programs on the basis of the findings.
- The Ethnic Studies Department will provide challenging, personally enriching, and professionally relevant general education.
- Ethnic Studies will provide strong liberal arts, general education course work for all MSU, M students that will be transferable to other institutions and most importantly, will broaden understanding, teach the life skills of critical and creative thinking, oral and written communication, individual and group problem solving, appreciation of ethnic diversity and democratic values.
- The Ethnic Studies Department will provide a collegial environment that fosters continued intellectual growth and contributions of faculty, staff, and students.
- Ethnic Studies will be a learning community of faculty, students, and staff, encouraging intellectual exchanges, mentoring, and collaborations both inside and outside the classroom. It will be a community based on civility, trust, respect and diversity.
- Ethnic Studies faculty will engage in research and other scholarly activities to ensure on-going intellectual involvement with and contribution to current ideas and practices in our field.
- The Ethnic Studies Department will provide curricular and extracurricular activities that promote students' personal and professional growth, and their commitment to social responsibilities.
- Ethnic Studies will enhance programs and activities seeking solutions to social problems like ending violence and addressing social change. Ethnic Studies will expand efforts to promote multicultural and global understanding. Ethnic Studies will expand efforts to recognize the public service of students.
- The Ethnic Studies Department will provide accessible and effective academic advising and other support services for its students.
- Ethnic Studies faculty and staff will provide an effective advising program to help all students accomplish their academic, career, civic and personal goals. Ethnic Studies will work to facilitate student transfers from other institutions. Ethnic Studies faculty and staff will participate in recruitment and retention efforts for its program.
- The Ethnic Studies Department will provide its professional expertise to the region, to the state, and worldwide.
- Ethnic Studies will expand its partnerships with local, state and regional agencies, businesses, organizations, and K-12 institutions for mutual benefits to students, faculty, and our communities.
- Ethnic Studies will offer continuing education programs to meet the life-long learning needs of the region.
- The Ethnic Studies Department will support teaching, learning, scholarship, and service with varied technologies.
- Ethnic Studies faculty members will be encouraged to take advantage of the capabilities of new technologies in the delivery of their programs and in pursuit of their scholarly activities.
- Ethnic Studies students will gain sufficient familiarity with new technologies in their fields to be well prepared for the opportunities after graduation.
- The Ethnic Studies Department will provide support for campus initiatives to improve Minnesota State University, Mankato.
- Ethnic Studies will manage and develop its resources responsibly in alignment with college planning and priorities to improve student learning opportunities, to facilitate increased professional growth, and to provide service to our many communities.
- Ethnic Studies will expand opportunities for all members to participate in open discussion and decision making in the university through formal participation on committees and councils and informal participation in brown bags, open meetings, and other events.