CurriculumPage address: http://sbs.mnsu.edu/aos/curriculum.html
This program is the equivalent of a broad major, or at least forty-seven credits. No minor is required.
Core course requirements
Students must take two courses specific to the program:
- Introduction to Applied Organizational Studies (3 credits) and
- Applied Organizational Studies portfolio (1-2 credits).
These courses serve as “bookends” to introduce and to recapitulate the key competencies of the program.
Program competency requirements
Students must take at least twelve upper-division credits in each of the 3 competency areas (communications, critical analysis, organizational leadership).
- The twelve credits may be from courses drawn from any department, as long as they provide substantial opportunities in the learning outcomes specified for that core competency.
- The credits may be satisfied through transfer from other accredited universities, as long as they are upper-division credits and as long as the student satisfies the university’s residency requirement of 40 credits.
- Courses meeting the program outcome requirements must be approved by the student’s committee (3 persons, at least 2 from among the roster of program advisors). A plan of study must be submitted and approved by the student’s committee before 20 credits in the program are completed.
- The program administrator will maintain a roster of program advisors and of courses which have been previously approved by student committees as satisfying core competencies. These rosters are available to students to help them choose their committee and plan their own course selection.
Area of Concentration courses
Students will design an area of concentration in consultation with a program advisor. The additional courses for the concentration can be chosen from any of the outcome areas, and will be sufficient to complete the 47 required credits in the major.
B. S. in Applied Organizational Studies Program Curriculum
Core Courses (4-5 credits)
- AOS 301 Introduction to Applied Organizational Studies (3 credits)
- AOS 488 Applied Organizational Studies Portfolio (1-2 credits)
Program Competency Courses (36 credits)
Communication in Organizations (12 credits, addressing the following outcomes):
- Students will use written language effectively, for personal and professional goals.
- Students will use spoken language effectively, for personal and professional goals.
Critical Thinking and Decision-Making in Organizations (12 credits, addressing the following outcomes):
- Students will develop rich understandings of situations, processes, and ideas by applying different interpretive approaches.
- Students will create new knowledge through synthesizing data in new and original ways.
Leadership in Organizations (12 credits, addressing the following outcomes):
- Students will understand the richness and value of the diversity of cultures within the U.S. and throughout the world.
- Students will apply their understanding of social phenomena to function more effectively in professional settings.
- Students will understand the basic principles of organizational leadership.
Area of Concentration Courses (7-8 credits)
Total Credits: 48