shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Warning, Probation or Suspension

Page address:

When a student drops below a 2.0 cumulative MSU GPA or a 67% cumulative total credit completion rate, they are put on Academic Warning or Academic Probation.

What happens when I am on Academic Warning or Probation?
  • Notified of your warning or probationary status by e-mail from the Office of the Provost in Academic Affairs
  • The SBS Advising Center will send a follow-up email with additional information about your next steps at the start of each semester
  • A registration hold for the following semester will be placed on your account.
  • You must meet with the SBS Advising Center, your faculty advisor and you must complete an Academic Plan
  • Your Financial Aid is on "WARNING" or "SUSPENSION". Please contact Campus Hub for details on your specific status
What to expect when you meet with the SBS Advising Center about warning/probation?
  • Discuss what impacted your academic success
  • Review warning/probation and provide you GPA and completion rate information unique to you
  • Discuss next steps to help you improve academic standing (tutoring, time management, etc.)
  • Expect to meet at least 2 times, but can meet more based on your academic plan
Will I be suspended? You will avoid suspension if…
  • Bring your cumulative MSU GPA up to 2.0 and your total cumulative Completion Rate up to 67% (return to Good Academic Standing); OR
  • Earn a term GPA of 2.5 and a term Completion Rate of 75% (continue on Academic Probation)
What happens if I am suspended?
  • You cannot attend MSU Mankato, or any other Minnesota State institutions, for one full calendar year
  • Financial Aid is also "SUSPENDED"
  • You must apply for reinstatement if you plan to return (reinstatement) after a full calendar year. You can find the application here
  • Financial Aid is not automatically continued if you decide to return from suspension. There is an appeal process but certain criteria must be met. The Financial Aid appeal process can be found [PDF] here

    (2 MiB)
How do my transfer credits impact my academic standing?

Transfer credits from other institutions are calculated as part of Satisfactory Academic Progress credit completion rate. Your total cumulative credit completion rate is considered for your academic standing.

Transfer credits from other institutions are not calculated as part of Satisfactory Academic Progress GPA. Only your local cumulative GPA (MSU GPA) is considered for your Academic standing.

Warning, Probation and Suspension Resources