Message from the DeanPage address: http://sbs.mnsu.edu/about/
The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences promotes the exploration, understanding, explanation, and transformation of the social world through undergraduate and graduate teaching and learning, research and scholarly activities, and service to local, state, national, and global communities.
- The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences will provide high quality, well respected undergraduate and graduate programs in the social and behavioral sciences and related professional fields.
- CSBS will provide strong, discipline-based and interdisciplinary undergraduate liberal arts degree programs recognized for their high quality by program graduates and their families, by academic peers, and by the public. These degree programs will give students in-depth knowledge in their chosen field as well as life skills in critical and creative thinking, oral and written communication, individual and group problem solving, use of information technologies and other research tools, and an appreciation of cultural diversity and democratic values. These programs will help students understand how the skills and knowledge they are learning will apply in professional settings.
- CSBS will also provide strong undergraduate professional programs that are in alignment with student interest and market needs and that are recognized for their high quality by program graduates and their families, relevant professional associations, and potential employers. These degree programs will help students develop professional skills and knowledge, ethical integrity, leadership and management skills, commitment to life-long learning and access to professional networks and/or advanced degree programs. These programs will also teach the liberal arts skills of critical and creative thinking, oral and written communication, individual and group problem-solving, use of information technologies and other research tools and an appreciation of cultural diversity and democratic values.
- CSBS will also provide discipline-based and interdisciplinary graduate degree programs recognized for high quality faculty members and rigorous programs by graduates, accrediting agencies, and potential employers or doctoral programs in which our students matriculate.
- To enhance student learning beyond the traditional classroom, programs in CSBS will offer experiential opportunities such as field trips, internships, and service learning and will promote study abroad opportunities for students.
- To respond to the evolving learning needs of students in our programs, faculty and staff in CSBS will pursue professional development opportunities related to teaching and service to students.
- To ensure continuous improvement of our programs, CSBS departments will implement assessment plans and will modify programs on the basis of the findings.
- The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences will provide challenging, personally enriching, and professionally relevant general education.
- CSBS will provide strong liberal arts, general education course work for all MSU students that will broaden understanding of our disciplines and teach the life skills of critical and creative thinking, oral and written communication, individual and group problem solving, and appreciation of cultural diversity and democratic values.
- CSBS will develop general education courses that will be transferable to other institutions.
- The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences will provide an environment that fosters continued intellectual growth and contributions of faculty, staff, and students.
- CSBS will be a learning community of faculty, students, and staff, encouraging intellectual exchanges, mentoring, and collaborations both inside and outside the classroom. It will be a community based on civility, trust, respect, and diversity.
- CSBS members will engage in research and scholarly activities to ensure on-going intellectual involvement with and contribution to current ideas and practices in our fields.
- The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences will provide its professional expertise to the region, state, nation, and global communities.
- CSBS departments will expand their partnerships with local, state and regional agencies, businesses, organizations, and K-12 institutions for mutual benefits to students, faculty, and our communities.
- CSBS will offer continuing education programs to meet the life-long learning needs of the region.
- The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences will provide curricular and extracurricular activities that promote students' personal and professional growth and their commitment to social responsibilities.
- CSBS will enhance programs and activities addressing social change.
- CSBS will enhance programs and activities seeking solutions to personal, social, and environmental violence.
- CSBS will expand efforts to promote multicultural and global understanding.
- CSBS will expand efforts to recognize the community service of students.
- The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences will provide accessible and effective academic advising and other support services for all students in the college.
- CSBS faculty and staff will provide an effective advising program to help all students accomplish their academic, career, civic and personal goals. Its effectiveness will be reflected in increased student satisfaction and success in accomplishing their goals.
- CSBS will work to facilitate student transfers from other institutions and will propose articulation agreements where appropriate.
- CSBS will participate in recruitment and retention efforts for programs in the college.
- The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences will use new technologies in support of teaching, learning, scholarship, and service.
- CSBS will develop and implement a college technology plan that will support the college mission and goals.
- CSBS faculty members will be encouraged to utilize the capabilities of new technologies in the delivery of their programs and in pursuit of their scholarly activities.
- CSBS staff will be encouraged to expand their skills in the use of new software and technologies.
- CSBS students will gain sufficient familiarity with new technologies in their fields to be well prepared for the opportunities after graduation.
- The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences will provide support for campus initiatives to improve Mankato State University.
- CSBS will manage and develop its resources responsibly in alignment with college planning and priorities to improve student learning opportunities, to facilitate increased professional growth, and to provide service to our many communities.
- CSBS will expand opportunities for all members to participate in open discussion and decision-making in the college.
Approved April 14, 1997, CSBS Chairpersons' Council